Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Breast fibrosis in HIV positive woman-please help
Aug 31, 2004

I just had a mamography done, and it turned out that I have more fibrosis than usual. The doctor said that for 39 years old I should have more fat, and that added risk in developing breast cancer. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the fact I take protease inhibitors and my breast has increased. If that is not the case, does that mean that I neccesarily develop cancer?. I have hepatitis c, hiv and really, it would just be too much! Please inform me. Thank you

Response from Dr. Lee

It sounds like a misunderstanding about fibrosis and it's relationship to the development of breast cancer. There is no added risk of developing breast cancer due to fibrosis at age 39. There may be a need for closer follow-up and testing such as mammograms and biopsies due to the possible confusion of fibrotic areas with cancer. (Breast self-exams are more difficult and less reliable when fibrosis is present.)

Protease inhibitors are associated with fat redistribution and with an increase in fat in the breast area. Fibrosis is more common in younger women than older women, due to an accumulation of fat over time.

There have been studies indicating an increase risk of several forms of cancer related to the immune deficiency which is caused by HIV. The list of cancers which are possibly associated with HIV's effects on the immune system include cervical cancer, lung cancer, lymphoma, kaposi's sarcoma, etc. Breast cancer has been evaluated, but an association has not been shown.

It is important to have regular check-ups, including regular mammograms, etc.

Be well.

Previous
Cord Blood Banking
Next
PLEASE REPLY!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.