long term use of meds

I have been takeing once a days meds for about 11/2 -2 years, have been having painful joint issues. I am seeing an orthopedic person because of the severity of the pain in my lower back & hips. (arthritis does run in the family).

any way taking bactrim, videx ec, tenoforvir. I know these meds can cause joint pain. these pains began in february & have worsended through the year to the point I have to take pain meds.

Can side the effects from the meds begin begin after long term use? (Like the blood levels are at toxic levels)?

Joint pain is actually not an adverse effect commonly seen with the medications you list. In all the studies I have read involving tenofovir or ddI, joint pains have not been reported (side effects occuring in 3% or more of patients, are often included in these reports).

So, it could be something else. Age, osteoarthritis, hepatitis C infection are just some of the potential causes of back pain. Persons with HIV are at increased risk of osteopenia and osteoporosis - low bone mineral density. This can lead to weak bones and sometime fractures of the bones of the spine, causing pain.

What also concerns me is that you are taking tenofovir and ddI and did not mention a third drug. I suspect (and hope) you are also in a non-nucleoside or a protease inhibitor.

REDUCED DOSES VS. DISCOUNTINUATION OF TREATMENT
Why wait to start meds?