Very High VL

I am looking for some input regarding treatment options.

I am a male 48y/o, living a healthy and active lifestyle. I have been under physician supervision since August 2003, (hiv since 2002) Since then, I have not been on any meds as my CD4's and viral load has been well within margins. As of my recent lab results from this April, my CD4 have been between 350-450 and my viral load always ower 100 000. My latest test august 2004 was CD4 360 and my VL was 440 000. I live in sweden an my Doctor not regarding treatment plans, Dear Doctor, my I have you your opinion. Shall I wait longer ? Until when ? My doctors recomendation is to wait when CD4 is below 300. But I always have a high VL, and can read on your answer on this site that you and your expert team recomended people to starting treatment erlier. I am very confused and very unhappy in this sitation. Please, give me a answer. Thanks Fredrik

Thanks for your question.

You'll find that there is no concrete or absolute answer to the question about when to start treatment.

You do have a high viral load and this, at the very least, means that you shouldn't miss your scheduled lab tests (since the real issue is not allowing your CD4 to drop precipitously).

With a CD4 count around 350, you certainly would not be faulted in wanting to start-- particularly if your having some subtle symptoms of HIV (like fatigue, loss of energy or weight loss). There isn't an urgency to this recommendation, and waiting until your next lab tests to see if there has been any further decline could also be supported. Remember that US doctors do tend to start treatment earlier than some European doctors and this is likely reflected in your doctors recommendation.

I hope this helps, thanks for reading. BY

Switching Med Timing...
Time to Start Treatment?