Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So what is the truth?
Aug 18, 2004

The Body is a great site, and I have learned quite a bit reading archives both here and in "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention." But I'm hoping you could straighten a few points out. The good doctor at the other forum says vaginal transmission rates are about .1% for the female and "less" for the male. This is what a major study showed in 1997. Yet The Body FAQ page mentions that a study showed the vaginal sex transmission rates are on the order of 1 in 100,000. Now _that_ is a rare event. Even the 1 in 8000 transmission rate for males is a very rare event.

Dr. Stuart Brody and his team have evidence that HIV transmissions in Africa are due to infected needles, anal sex and then vaginal sex "as a distant third."

So my questions are 1) Why do we get inconsistant information on The Body 2) What do you think of Dr. Brody's latest research? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Actually I do not find the information presented on this site to be inconsistent whatsoever. HIV/AIDS is a dynamic and volatile pandemic. As new information evolves and is scientifically validated, we present it.

Dr. Stuart Brody is not a physician. He has never been to medical school. He is a clinical psychologist and is entitled to his opinion, even if it is contrary to that of essentially all HIV experts around the world. After all, Dick Cheney still says weapons of mass destruction are clearly evident in Iraq. So you can choose to believe whomever you please. If you choose to believe HIV is not, or only rarely, spread through heterosexual sex, that is up to you. But let's hope your sex partners are better informed and still make you wear a condom.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Doctors and drugs
Next
survival with cd4 count below 15

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.