So what is the truth?

The Body is a great site, and I have learned quite a bit reading archives both here and in "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention." But I'm hoping you could straighten a few points out. The good doctor at the other forum says vaginal transmission rates are about .1% for the female and "less" for the male. This is what a major study showed in 1997. Yet The Body FAQ page mentions that a study showed the vaginal sex transmission rates are on the order of 1 in 100,000. Now _that_ is a rare event. Even the 1 in 8000 transmission rate for males is a very rare event.

Dr. Stuart Brody and his team have evidence that HIV transmissions in Africa are due to infected needles, anal sex and then vaginal sex "as a distant third."

So my questions are 1) Why do we get inconsistant information on The Body 2) What do you think of Dr. Brody's latest research? Thanks.

Actually I do not find the information presented on this site to be inconsistent whatsoever. HIV/AIDS is a dynamic and volatile pandemic. As new information evolves and is scientifically validated, we present it.

Dr. Stuart Brody is not a physician. He has never been to medical school. He is a clinical psychologist and is entitled to his opinion, even if it is contrary to that of essentially all HIV experts around the world. After all, Dick Cheney still says weapons of mass destruction are clearly evident in Iraq. So you can choose to believe whomever you please. If you choose to believe HIV is not, or only rarely, spread through heterosexual sex, that is up to you. But let's hope your sex partners are better informed and still make you wear a condom.

Doctors and drugs
survival with cd4 count below 15