Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

State of mind?
Aug 10, 2004

Dear Doctor Young, I tested + to H.I.V. almost 2 years ago.My VL has been aroun 750K and above for this period and T-Cell around 380 - 450 at 22% currently. I have never had any sypmtoms,complications,colds etc.. during this period until now, with shingles. I am not on any meds, my doctor doesn't seem to think I need to, but my V.L. has been high for so long.Truth is, I feel sensational even with the shingles - should I be worried - I just can't seem to allow myself to feel or be worried - what are your thoughts please. Many, thanks. S.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

I'm in agreement with your doctor that if you are generally asymptomatic with a good CD4 cell count, that you probably don't need to start on HIV treatments. The high viral load should be noted, but in and of itself does not mandate starting on therapy.

Keep a close eye on your CD4 counts, since with the high viral load, you are at somewhat greater risk of having precipitous drops. I'm generally in favor of considering treatment when total (absolute) CD4s are below 350 or percentages are below 20%-- you're not too far away from these benchmarks.

Good health, thanks for reading. BY

Previous
Sustiva - when to take
Next
Leeway in timing on travel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.