Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Now I'm undetectable!
Aug 7, 2004

Tested poz in Nov 2003, Viral Load at 70K, started meds in January 2004, now Viral Load is undetecable. Any chance of discontinuing meds? Dr. tells me to keep taking them, which I will. Just curious on second opinion. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and congratulations on the undetectable viral load.

It's difficult for us to tell you about when or if to stop medications. I don't think at this early stage that stopping medications would be a great idea-- you've worked very hard in getting your virus suppressed, and now can reap the benefits of a recovering immune system. I'd run with this well after your CD4s are in the normal range.

Now, this is not to say that you are committed to taking medications every day for the rest of your life. There are a growing set of studies that are beginning to ask about discontinuation of treatments for persons who have had good immune reconstitution; it's too early to be sure about the optimal program to doing this, but it's my prediction that in the near term future, we'll be talking about structured discontinuation for some patients.

So, again, congratulations. Continue to work hard on the adherence, and thanks for reading. BY

Previous
when to start medication
Next
drug availabilty in mexico

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.