Now I'm undetectable!

Tested poz in Nov 2003, Viral Load at 70K, started meds in January 2004, now Viral Load is undetecable. Any chance of discontinuing meds? Dr. tells me to keep taking them, which I will. Just curious on second opinion. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your post and congratulations on the undetectable viral load.

It's difficult for us to tell you about when or if to stop medications. I don't think at this early stage that stopping medications would be a great idea-- you've worked very hard in getting your virus suppressed, and now can reap the benefits of a recovering immune system. I'd run with this well after your CD4s are in the normal range.

Now, this is not to say that you are committed to taking medications every day for the rest of your life. There are a growing set of studies that are beginning to ask about discontinuation of treatments for persons who have had good immune reconstitution; it's too early to be sure about the optimal program to doing this, but it's my prediction that in the near term future, we'll be talking about structured discontinuation for some patients.

So, again, congratulations. Continue to work hard on the adherence, and thanks for reading. BY

when to start medication
drug availabilty in mexico