when to start medication

Have just discovered your site - it's been a great help.

I am recently diagnosed with HIV - January 2004, with a likely zero conversion in August 2003.

At diagnosis, my CD4 count was roughly 600 and it has stayed relatively constant since. My viral load was over 110,000 on diagnosis and fell to just over 30,000 in the following months. In the last 3 months, however, my viral load has increased to 300,000 (after 6 weeks) and now to over 600,000.

My doctor is recommending I start treatment now. I will will be travelling overseas for eight weeks in Sept and Oct. Should I start now or delay until i return from overseas.

Stephen

Thanks for your post.

Assuming that your feeling well (are asymptomatic) and will be getting medical follow up, waiting a few months to make the decision as to when and what medications to start would be fine.

Indeed, if you're travelling, this is typically a fairly disrupted period-- making adherence more difficult (and placing you at greater risk of treatment failure).

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Recreational Drugs & Starting Treatment
Now I'm undetectable!