Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr young I can teach you a thing or two. Then you might be a doctor.
Aug 2, 2004

My statement is for Dr. young. Dr. I believe you are not sympathetic enough to practice medicine. I have read many of your replies to questions and your answers are short and without sympathy. The last question i am refering to asks. Have you heard a trial being done on a compound Immudel. and does it sound promising for long term eradication of hiv. And can i expect in the future for medicines to be more tolerable and efficient. Your answer was. No never heard of it. I have heard of why have you not. You are to crass to be a doctor. What you did not learn in med school is compasion, the human bond, and empathy. A doctor is not a robot but a caregiver notice the word care and give in this word. These are the two most important words a doctor should understand. Any one can go to med school and pass test and get a license to practice. It is another thing to practice with care of the patients psyche and anatomy. They are not seperate.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for reading and taking the time to post your opinion.

In the interest of free speech and plurality of opinion, I'm happy to hear your voice. I agree with much of what you've said, that doctors (and other healthcare providers) are not robots, we are people who care for other people. It is clearly not sufficient to make decisions on the basis of laboratory tests, but we try to care for whole persons. We make the best decisions possible, given the available information.

There are many dozens of compounds under clinical investigation-- the fact that I'm not aware of the details of every one, particularly one that has not had recent results presented at major scientific or clinical meetings does not take away from my concern that we continue to search for newer or better medications. That said, there are many that would give false hope for untested drugs. This, to me is truly the unsympathetic strategy to provide counsel to our communities.

I'd like to think that the many hundreds of persons that I care for (and thousands of readers here) take a somewhat different view than yours on the opinions that I render on this site, but you are entitled to your opinion. BY

Previous
Please help
Next
no Q, just a note: dr. Young, you are doing a great job

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.