Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just diagnosed
Jul 31, 2004

I have been recently diagnosed with HIV and my cd4 count is 711 and my viral load is 55,900. My consultant here in Scotland UK says this is within reasonable levels and wont need to start treatment but im concerned about the viral load which can only rise as i am not on any medication. Can you tell me what you think about this ?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Your CD4 count is quite good and the viral load is average. It really takes several viral load and CD4 count determinations to get a better sense of the true state of viral and immune system dynamics. I say dynamics, because it is not unusual for these numbers to vary considerably over short periods of time. One needs to take the average of several readings to really know where one stands. What you do know now with over 700 CD4 cells is that you have plenty of time to gather information and see how the numbers trend. Good luck and keep us posted on the repeat numbers.

Previous
Expiration date of Efavirenz
Next
Am I being too concerned about my numbers?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.