low plasminogen

I'm sorry, I don't know who to ask.... I saw my hemotologist today and he said he has never seen a person with low plasminogen before in his 33 years of practice. Is this something serious? I am not HIV+, but would appreciate any information you could give me.

Response from Dr. Lee

Plasminogen is a substance in the body that activates the enzyme plasmin that affects blood clotting. That your value is low is not necessarily anything serious. It also does not necessarily require any action what-so-ever. Please ask your hemotologist what he thinks you should do about this unusual lab value. (REmember lab values are arranged into "normal" and "abnormal" from arbitrary points along a bell curve of "typical" values. Just because your value falls outside of the typical bell curve, does not mean it is truly abnormal. Nor does it mean that it is harmful.)

Be well.

Making sure I understand your response
Doctors not responding to resistance