Today's Outlook on HIV

I have been positive for about three years and have been on a tolerable regimen for the past year (Viramune/Emtriva/Viread). I also use Androgel and have been taking the Kaiser Pax vitamin supplements. I actually feel better now than I have in years.

I have actually seen physical improvement in my body and wonder if this is the case with most people after starting treatment. I have been 100% compliant in taking my meds and have just had one VL blip @ 113 since going undectable. Most of the doctors on this board seem to be pretty optimistic about the long term survival rate for this thing now. Am I now the norm for how you see patients doing these days? I lost so many friends in the late 80's & early 90's who never "got better" even when they took AZT or DDI etc...so I do at times have trouble shaking those memories of hospital visits and other images from my mind....But I guess my question is, Am I safe to assume that the chances of making it to my 60's (I am 42) and dealing with the regular stuff that comes with old age a reality?

Thanks for keeping us all so well informed. This board has been a great tool for me to use with my doctor.

Will

Yes and yes to your questions. You are the norm for people that take 100% of their medications and you are safe to assume you will make to your 60's and beyond. Sometimes we focus on all the potential side effects, but many people living with HIV infection do extremely well with therapy and suffer no discernable side effects. Thanks for posting.

Viral loads down and cell count down equals what?
testing for viral load and cd4