Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to take a break from meds
Jul 4, 2004

I recently spoke to somebody who said her doctor said it's a good idea to take a break from taking meds so that her body doesn't become immune to the meds. I realize it varies from person to person, but is there a general rule of thumb to this theory? My viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is 350. When I first started the meds a year ago, my CD4 count was 128 and my viral load was 5,000. Also, I see my doctor every six months. Is this enough? I heard some people go every three to four months. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Lee

I believe that your friend probably misunderstood what her doctor said. It is NOT a good idea to take a break from medicine to "keep your body from becoming immune to the meds". There may be other reasons to consider switching or stopping medicines.

"Immunity" (actually viral resistance) develops when the virus is not fully supressed by the medication regimen. So, if the medicine is not really working, it is good to stop taking it so the virus doesn't develop more resistance.

The timing of visits is determined by how you are doing with the treatment. If you are on meds, have completely shut down the virus, have a steady or rising t-cell count and don't miss doses, you probably don't need to be seen as often. If any of those are problems, you should probably have testing done more regularly.

If the virus gets out from under the medicines, it only takes a few days to weeks for that failure to develop into full-blown resistance to one or more of the medicines. Clearly, it is best to "catch it" right away if that is happening.

Be well.

Previous
Medication change success
Next
Making sure I understand your response

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.