The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnant and newly diagnosed
Jul 2, 2004

Hello, There has been a recent case of my brother wife being diagnaised as HIV Positive. She is pregnant.

How do we tackle the current situation.

The doctors say that after 5 years the Virus wil be active. It is now dormant. IS there any maximum age of HIV surviival. She is now 26.

Response from Dr. Pierone

For pregnant women an additional consideration of HIV treatment is prevention of transmission of infection to their infant. With contemporary combination medications the mother to child transmission rate is less than 1 percent. It used to be about 25 percent before antiretrovirals were available.

When the doctors said that the infection was dormant they were referring to the fact that most people with HIV infection go many years without any symptoms of illness. The virus is actively replicating, so its really not dormant, it just takes years for the virus to damage the immune system to the point that it begins to unravel.

In terms of life expectancy, the belief is that persons with HIV infection that have access to medical care and antiretroviral medication can expect a near normal life span. This is contingent upon the ability to adhere to therapy when it is needed.

To tackle the current situation, your sister-in-law needs to get in to see a doctor with experience treating HIV-infected pregnant women. She will be started on medications to prevent transmission, then may or may not be kept on therapy after delivery. Your brother will also need to checked for HIV to see if he is infected. Best of luck!

Total CD4 count or CD4 percentage?
CD4 and VL?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint