Total CD4 count or CD4 percentage?

I had my acute HIV "flu" in July 2003 and tested HIV+ in October 2003. My CD4 counts have stayed pretty stable, between 625 and 560, currently at 600. However, my CD4 percentage has continuously decreased from 28% on my first test, down to 15% for my last test taken in May. If my CD4 totals continue to stay relatively high but my percentage continues to drop, should I consider starting therapy? If so, at what percentage would you recommend that therapy start?

Thanks for all your help. This website has been an incredible and reassuring resource for me.

Although we do follow the percentage of CD4 cells, this reading is less helpful when the CD4 count is so high. I would not use it as a reason to start early therapy in this scenario. It is more helpful in midrange CD4 counts (around 350) and can sometimes push either towards or away from initiation of medications. Thanks for posting!

CD4 below 200
Pregnant and newly diagnosed