Can DoctorsTell how someone got HIV?

I was recently diagnosed IV+. I'm not exactly sure how I got it though. I work as a police officer and have come across lots of blood. It was reported to me by a hospital in 1996 that a person I arrested and got tons of his blood all over me was diagnosed with HIV, HepA and HepC. My question is then can a doctor tell me if I got it from him, or from a lover??? My doctor has said that I have had this since approximately 1996 according to my numbers.

Thanks

From a practical perspective it would be difficult to prove that you acquired the infection from this person. Even in situations involving recent infections when you have matched blood samples it can be difficult to link HIV infection in two individuals. If the virus has the exact same pattern of RNA mutations (viruses differ naturally) this would indicate a connection.

Single Male wants children and HIV+
Removal of Spleen