The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Immune System Transfer?
Jun 19, 2004

I don't want to come across as an idiot. I'm going to ask anyway-is there such a thing as taking a Pos/Neg couple and using the Negative partners immune system to somehow help the Positive partners overall health? The reason I ask about a couple is because I am in that situation with my Pos Partner and I am willing to do ANYTHING to help him in ANY way possible to get him well or as close to it as possible. He is everything to me and I would be willing to subject myself to any kind of study/experiment that could possibly benefit him and also help others someday. I just feel there should be a way to take my healthy immune system and transfer some of it to him and help fight this disease in his body.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and there are no bad questions, so don't worry. The idea of transferring immune cells to help people with HIV infection has been tried with a variety of methods over the years. Most of the attempts were in the desperate era before HAART and were unsuccessful because of tissue rejection.

Nowadays, immune cells transfer is generally not a pressing need since immune recovery comes along with response to HAART. So in your situation, there is no need to donate bone marrow. Rather, find out what your partners numbers are (viral load and CD4 count). If the viral load is high and/or CD4 count is low, treatment with antiretroviral medications is warranted. If treatment is indicated, then excellent adherence to the regimen is the best way to preserve health. Good luck!

Med's For Primary Infection
Which treatment to choose when VL > 750000 ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint