Viread/3TC/Sustiva

Thank you for the excellent work you do on this site. Your help is really appreciated.

For those starting their first HAART regimen and wishing to start on a PI-sparing combination, it seems that Combivir/Sustiva has always been an excellent choice. However, I seem to be hearing of more and more people starting with the combination of Viread/3TC/Sustiva. Given the opportunity for once a day dosing, low pill burden, a (relatively) low side-effect profile (particularly when compared with AZT) and a lower risk of developing lipoatrophy, do you now favour this regimen as a starting regimen or hasn't enough research been conducted to determine the long-term efficacy of this combination?

I have no prior drug-resistance to any HIV meds and would like to take this combination when the time comes for me to start meds as it seems so attractive compared to other combinations.

Best wishes,

Simon

Hello and thanks for posting. I do favor the use of once daily regimens like Viread, Epivir, and Sustiva for initial management of HIV infection. There is nothing wrong with Combivir and Sustiva and we have many patients doing well on it for years. However, we now have long-term data on these newer regimens and they work quite and tend to have fewer side effects.

Confusing CD4 & Viral Load results
Med's For Primary Infection