Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viread/3TC/Sustiva
Jun 19, 2004

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent work you do on this site. Your help is really appreciated.

For those starting their first HAART regimen and wishing to start on a PI-sparing combination, it seems that Combivir/Sustiva has always been an excellent choice. However, I seem to be hearing of more and more people starting with the combination of Viread/3TC/Sustiva. Given the opportunity for once a day dosing, low pill burden, a (relatively) low side-effect profile (particularly when compared with AZT) and a lower risk of developing lipoatrophy, do you now favour this regimen as a starting regimen or hasn't enough research been conducted to determine the long-term efficacy of this combination?

I have no prior drug-resistance to any HIV meds and would like to take this combination when the time comes for me to start meds as it seems so attractive compared to other combinations.

Best wishes,

Simon

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. I do favor the use of once daily regimens like Viread, Epivir, and Sustiva for initial management of HIV infection. There is nothing wrong with Combivir and Sustiva and we have many patients doing well on it for years. However, we now have long-term data on these newer regimens and they work quite and tend to have fewer side effects.

Previous
Confusing CD4 & Viral Load results
Next
Med's For Primary Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.