Starting Meds

I'm a 43 year old male. I believe that I have just sero converted (currently feeling flu-like symptoms, periodic night sweats, and lymph nodes that are enlarged) having had HIV exposure nearly 3 months ago. I will be visiting an HIV specialist this coming week. I'm in general good health. I was wondering what you would recommend to someone with my condition. Are there benefits to starting a strong regiment of meds now, or is it better to wait? Thank you for your attention.

It is not clear if starting HIV treatment during or shortly after sero-conversion is beneficial. There are some small studies suggesting that it may be a good idea, but this has not been established. Based on the available evidence, I do think early treatment makes sense and recommend it for my patients, but with the caveat that it is unproven and the duration of treatment is not known. Good luck and hopefully your tests will be negative.

Please a couple of seconds of your time