Metamucil??

I've read many times controversial information about the fact that Metamucil could affect the absorption of HIV meds. Some doctors say it does, some say it does not. However, I noticed today that, at least in my case, there seems to be a problem: I've been taking Metamucil daily for over a month to deal with an anal fissure. I notice today that an entire pill of one of my meds was completely covered with the fiber mucus-like material of my stools and it seemed not to have been processed or absorbed by my body at all. Is this of concern?

I am not aware of any data that indicate Metamucil reduces absorption of HIV medications. It is really just a form of dietary fiber and aids in maintaining digestive health just like consuming a higher fiber diet. On occasion, some HIV medications in capsule form will have the medication absorbed, but the capsule itself will pass intact in the stool. I would not be concerned about this and would carry on with the Metamucil as long as it is having its intended effect. Good luck!

will we ever see drugs without any side effects?
Uncertain about starting meds with high CD4