will we ever see drugs without any side effects?

Dr. Young,

I applaud you and others on this site for your excellent work and efforts. My question entails your opinion, if it is realistic to think that in the near future we might begin to see drugs that work for hiv and do not have the side effect profiles of the drugs that are out there today and do even damage as well as save lives. Please explain. Thank you.

Dawn

Dawn- Thank you for your question.

It's unrealistic to think that we will ever see a medication that never, ever causes any side effects. Even exceptionally well tolerated medications, like aspirin or vitamins can cause side effects in rare cases. I'm not sure about your thesis-- some drugs are already very well tolerated, others less so. We do have the luxury of having multiple options for patients who don't tolerate their first-choice regimens-- selection of medications is a process of minimizing the potential risk of side effects, and then modifying things when side effects are problematic.

What we can say and hope for are medications that are very well tolerated and cause few or no side effects in the vast majority of persons who receive them. The way that we measure this is by looking at the frequency of moderate to severe- or even mild side effects of medications. When you look at contemporary HIV medications, the general tolerability is very good for the majority of persons who take them. Not everyone, but most. BY

What cardiac problems/symptoms does HIV virus itself cause?
Metamucil??