Hard and Fast or wait?

I was told I was HIV+ a week ago and am waiting for my CD4 and VL data.

I feel fine [apart from periodic moments where i thinkn i'm gonna have a heart attack - kiddin'] but was wondering whether it is advisble to take medications when healthy [to stay healthy] as opposed to when things start to decay.

Thanks guys. Great resource.

My optomistic opinion: If they told me I had cancer I could be dead in months right??

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. It's never advisable to rush into HIV therapies, without some background information about your health (CD4 cells, viral load). I also obtain a baseline drug resistance test whenever possible, since about 10% of my new patients have virus with some evidence of resistance-- this ultimately can affect treatment decisions.

Remember that HIV is a very slowly progressive illness-- it typically takes years for bad things to happen. This means that we have time to collect information and make informed decisions about the when and how to start treatments.

Good luck, BY

disappointing progress?
Choosing the best doctor