should I start Doxil for KS on my ankle

I have a CD4 count of 1173 and a viral load of 1600.My CD4 count has been this high since being diagnosed in '98 and my viral load is at its higest point in years. I was recently diagnosed with KS on my left ankle. I was on Trizivir at the time. My meds have been switched to reyataz,Norvir, videx and Viread. I was given a local shot of Chemo to the ankle and the spots fell off. 2 months later I now have spots on my right ankle as well as more spots on my left. My question to you is have you ever heard of KS in someone with a CD4 as high as mine and should I start Doxil, Start Radiation or just give my new meds a chance to work? And 2nd is KS the begging of bad things to come for me? I am generally a very healthy person.

Hello, your situation is quite unusual, but I just saw a patient with a very similar problem. It makes sense for you to wait and see if the KS resolves when your viral load goes undetectable on the new regimen. If the KS does go away in response to antiretroviral therapy, plan to continue the cocktail and specific therapy for KS should not be needed. If the KS does not clear up or progresses (unlikely) despite effective antiretroviral therapy you will need treatment and local therapy (radiation) rather than Doxil chemotherapy would make more sense to me. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Prophylaxis for Latent TB
disappointing progress?