Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Prophylaxis for Latent TB
Jun 3, 2004

Hello Doctor, My name is Dash from India 29 yrs old.Living in NJ USA History: My friend recently was diagnosed with Active TB. On advice from the Doctor,I took a PPD test to be Safe. PPD test turned out to be Positive 10mm.(I have had a BCG Vacination when i was 4 yrs old) Later I went thru the Blood/Urine and X-ray and the results are all Negative.

Now the Doc has asked me to take Prophylaxis 300mg with Vitamin tablet everyday for the next 9 months as preventive method.

My question to you is Is there any short cut for this preventive method like Imunization shots etc. and What are the Side effects taking this medication I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard.

Thanks in Advance, Dash

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello Dash. There are a number of issues involved in this decision. If you had close contact with your friend, then a 10mm PPD is considered positive and you should strongly consider taking isoniazid for 9 months. It is possible that the 10mm reaction could be due to the BCG vaccine that you had at age 4, but there is no way to be sure of this.

I assume that you also have HIV infection since you are asking this question on a forum for HIV treatment. The immune suppression that comes with HIV significantly raises the risk of TB and lowers our threshold for prescribing preventive therapy like isoniazid (and vitamin B6). Isoniazid rarely causes liver toxicity so you should be sure to contact your doctor if nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and yellow conjunctiva develop. Good luck!

Previous
Capravirine update? In play or old news?
Next
should I start Doxil for KS on my ankle

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.