Prophylaxis for Latent TB

Hello Doctor, My name is Dash from India 29 yrs old.Living in NJ USA History: My friend recently was diagnosed with Active TB. On advice from the Doctor,I took a PPD test to be Safe. PPD test turned out to be Positive 10mm.(I have had a BCG Vacination when i was 4 yrs old) Later I went thru the Blood/Urine and X-ray and the results are all Negative.

Now the Doc has asked me to take Prophylaxis 300mg with Vitamin tablet everyday for the next 9 months as preventive method.

My question to you is Is there any short cut for this preventive method like Imunization shots etc. and What are the Side effects taking this medication I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard.

Thanks in Advance, Dash

Hello Dash. There are a number of issues involved in this decision. If you had close contact with your friend, then a 10mm PPD is considered positive and you should strongly consider taking isoniazid for 9 months. It is possible that the 10mm reaction could be due to the BCG vaccine that you had at age 4, but there is no way to be sure of this.

I assume that you also have HIV infection since you are asking this question on a forum for HIV treatment. The immune suppression that comes with HIV significantly raises the risk of TB and lowers our threshold for prescribing preventive therapy like isoniazid (and vitamin B6). Isoniazid rarely causes liver toxicity so you should be sure to contact your doctor if nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and yellow conjunctiva develop. Good luck!

Capravirine update? In play or old news?
should I start Doxil for KS on my ankle