Atazanavir will improve lipo?

I'm writing from Brazil. I've been on Nelfinavir/3TC/AZT for 5 years now. It has been my first and only combo. My viral load was never undetectable. It's currently at 1,200 and my CD4 is 500. I've been getting very fat around the abdomem in the past 2 years and I've always had frequent episodes of diarrhea (due to Nelfinavir?). The lipodistrophy has really been bothering me.

My doctor suggested I switch the Nelfinavir to a new drig called Atazanavir. He said my lipodistrophy might go away. And it also reduces the number of pills. Is this a good idea? Please answer soon! I am afraid to change meds!!!

Response from Dr. Lee

It sounds as though your viral load has just recently become detectable at 1,200. Unless you have missed doses, or changed your schedule or regimen somehow, it is probably beginning to fail. Usually it is not a good idea to change out only one portion of a failing regimen.

I am not sure that Reyataz will actually reverse any lipodystrophy. It has been shown to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, but lipodystrophy is more complicated than that. The suggested change will, of course reduce the number of pills.

Be well.

Drug interuption after 19yrs. pos. CD4s always have been 375 and up in 400s, do I go back?
Comparing liver effects of drugs