Crixivan after viramune's rashes

Doctor Pavia due to rashes I will have stop taking viramune. My old combo was with crixivan. I read that viramune takes long time to clear up from the bloodstream (25-30 hours). Viramune decreases crixivan strength. When would it be the right time to go back to crixivan or would I need an adjustment to crixivan dose in the first couple days? thanks

Response from Dr. Pavia

You are correct that if you take viramune with crixivan, the blood level of viramune will be decreased by about 25%. Depending on your blood level, this might or might not be enough of a change to make a difference.

If you will be going on to a regimen of crixivan with ritonavir (norvir) it is very unlikely that there would be any effect of the viramune. If you are going back on crixivan in the standard (or old fashioned dose) of 800 mg every 8 hours, then it may be important. Within two weeks, you can be assured that any effect of the viramune will be gone. If you are waiting this long, there would be no need to adjust. If you are switching right away, one approach would be to take 1000 mg every 8 hours for the first 7-10 days.

Good luck ATP

OK Guy
tx timing strictness