Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptomatic hiv infection
Jun 2, 2004

Dear doc,

Question 1: Very early after infection I developed pinkish sores on my eyelids and cheeks that some doctors have diagnosed as rosacea. The sores are a little annoying (they hurt when touched) and havent come off with creams or antibiotics (they get better for a while but come back again when i stop treatment). Some other docs do not know what it is. My VL is very high (170K), I was infected a year ago, not on treatment yet and CD4 430. Can it be related to HIV if it is rosacea? Can it be something else? If HIV related, will it go away with HAART? Question 2: Is laser hair removal incompatible with hiv infection given the above info on my particular situation (i.e. VL, CD4...) Thank you so much.

John

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello John, it is fairly common for skin disorders to be associated with HIV infection. I have seen rosacea-like rashes in patients with HIV that do resolve when HAART is commenced. Another common disorder is facial seborrhea in persons with HIV and AIDS and this often will improve with antiretroviral therapy.

Of course, rosacea is very common and many people that do not have HIV infection are afflicted with this condition. The National Rosacea Society at this link is a great source of information.

Laser hair removal is not a problem with HIV infection and counts like yours. Good luck!

Previous
what should i do
Next
what symptoms warrant treatment??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.