symptomatic hiv infection

Dear doc,

Question 1: Very early after infection I developed pinkish sores on my eyelids and cheeks that some doctors have diagnosed as rosacea. The sores are a little annoying (they hurt when touched) and havent come off with creams or antibiotics (they get better for a while but come back again when i stop treatment). Some other docs do not know what it is. My VL is very high (170K), I was infected a year ago, not on treatment yet and CD4 430. Can it be related to HIV if it is rosacea? Can it be something else? If HIV related, will it go away with HAART? Question 2: Is laser hair removal incompatible with hiv infection given the above info on my particular situation (i.e. VL, CD4...) Thank you so much.

John

Hello John, it is fairly common for skin disorders to be associated with HIV infection. I have seen rosacea-like rashes in patients with HIV that do resolve when HAART is commenced. Another common disorder is facial seborrhea in persons with HIV and AIDS and this often will improve with antiretroviral therapy.

Of course, rosacea is very common and many people that do not have HIV infection are afflicted with this condition. The National Rosacea Society at this link is a great source of information.

Laser hair removal is not a problem with HIV infection and counts like yours. Good luck!

what should i do
what symptoms warrant treatment??