jaundice-hep-c

My mother has HIV, Hep-c, and now she has yellow jaundice. I need to be more educated on jaundice she was just diagnosed and hospitalized but she is very depressed and want stay in hospital. What going to happen to her? I very worried myself that she will die before becoming full blown aids..

Thanks for your question.

I find it difficult to answer your question in detail, without more information about your mother's case. That said, having jaundice and hepatitis C is generally not a good sign-- it could mean that her liver function has deteriorated and that she has cirrhosis (severe liver scarring).

There are treatments for both HIV and HCV that can improve the short- and long-term prognosis for persons who are dually-infected. I'd make sure that these discussions are had with your mother and her doctors.

Good luck, BY

Treatment-naive patient needs initial regimen to fight KS
Gene Therapy