seriodiscordent children

My husband is HIV+ (not currently on meds) and I am HIV-; however we would like to have children. I have been doing a lot of research and found that most infertility doctors will perform sperm washing on an undetecable HIV+ man, but not on one that is detecable. However in Europe they have been doing this procedure for years with out the negative individual surcoventing from it. What would be the reason we are not willing to perform this procedure here if the person signs a consent or something? Secondly what could I do besides adoption inorder to birth a child from my husband and I?

Response from Dr. Lee

The reason "we" (ie US docs) are not willing to perform sperm washing on specimen from a detectable HIV+ man is because no consent is "unbreakable" by savvy attorneys. It happens that the US has the highest per capita number of attorneys, and is the most litiginous (lawsuit happy) place on earth. If you want to have a physician willing to accept that you will take full personal responsibility for your risk of infection you will probably have to go to Europe. (Not necessarily a bad idea, lots of Americans have been conceived in Paris in April...)

Be well.

Over medication??
Stavudine (Zerit) once a day?