Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

seriodiscordent children
May 26, 2004

My husband is HIV+ (not currently on meds) and I am HIV-; however we would like to have children. I have been doing a lot of research and found that most infertility doctors will perform sperm washing on an undetecable HIV+ man, but not on one that is detecable. However in Europe they have been doing this procedure for years with out the negative individual surcoventing from it. What would be the reason we are not willing to perform this procedure here if the person signs a consent or something? Secondly what could I do besides adoption inorder to birth a child from my husband and I?

Response from Dr. Lee

The reason "we" (ie US docs) are not willing to perform sperm washing on specimen from a detectable HIV+ man is because no consent is "unbreakable" by savvy attorneys. It happens that the US has the highest per capita number of attorneys, and is the most litiginous (lawsuit happy) place on earth. If you want to have a physician willing to accept that you will take full personal responsibility for your risk of infection you will probably have to go to Europe. (Not necessarily a bad idea, lots of Americans have been conceived in Paris in April...)

Be well.

Previous
Over medication??
Next
Stavudine (Zerit) once a day?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.