SIDE EFFECTS

I HAVE BEEN TAKING COMBIVIR AND VERAMUNE SICE EARLY NJANUARY 2004. I RECENTLY HAD A BOUT WITH PCP PNEUMONIA AND TAKE 500MG OF SEPTRA DAILY. I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING DIFFICULTY EATING FOODS PARTICULARY RICH IN STARCHES LIKE POTATOES, PASTA AND BREADS. i ALSO HAVE NO TOLERANCE FOR CHOCOLATE I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE I HAVE A CRITTY AND SOMETIMES PASTY TASTE IN MY MOUTH. I EVEN HAVE AN OCCASIONAL METALIC TASTE IN MY MOUTH. ARE THESE COMMON SIDE EFFECTS TO THE AIDS DRUGS OR IS THIS DUE TO THE ANTIOBIOTIC.FINALLY DOES LIPODYSTROPHY HAPPEN TO ALL PT'S ON HIV DRUGS THANK YOU STEVE

The side effects that you describe could be due to either the sulfa antibiotic Septra (Bactrim) or one of the HIV medications. The only way to know what is going on is to modify the regimen (with your doctor on board) and see what happens. The first approach is to put the Septra on hold, if this is the culprit you will know within several days. If not the Septra, then the cocktail is the likely cause of the problem. The regimen that you are on contains AZT (in the Combivir) and this is most common of the HIV medications to produce taste issues. Viramune can cause liver toxicity and this can be associated with change in taste as well. You should be having your liver monitored with routine blood testing which would identify this problem. Not all patients develop lipodystrophy from HIV medications. Good luck!

Re: Your answer on CD4's that are unusually high and VL's unusually low for someone with HIV
keep your eye on the prize, new med hopes for patients with failing regimes.