Want to Switch

Hello, I have been on Trizir plus Sustiva for 2 years. It is working well - knock on wood. Previously, I was on Viracept, Epivir and Zerit. I have some 3tc resistance now, but would like to remove the AZT in my cocktail and replace it with something else to perhaps help with my lypoatrophy. Do you have any suggestions on other drugs to use in this combo replacing the AZT?

Response from Dr. Lee

I am not sure what you would switch to that has less lypoatrophy. AZT has not been shown to be on the extreme end of causation of the mitochondrial toxicity which seems related to the atrophy. Zerit has been shown to have more toxicity. Also, the more nucleosides in your cocktail the more likely it is to develop the atrophy (which I acknowledge is a very distressing physical change).

Also, the 184 mutation which causes 3TC or Epivir resistance may lead to increased sensitivity to AZT or Retrovir. Thus it is sometimes helpful to stay on the combo.

Of your current medications, the Abacavir is the one less likely to be effective. You may consider dropping that portion of the cocktail.

Check with your doc about the effectiveness of the current combo and the long-term durability. It looks like one to hold you for a long time.

Be well.

abacavir excreted in stools
Over medication??