Travelling to Hong Kong and meds

Dear Doc,

Currently i am on Sustiva and combivir.

I am from South Africa and usually take the combivir and 6 in the morning and evening and the sustiva at 9pm every night.

I will be travelling to Hong kong soon and since the time change is about 6 hours (honk kong is ahead of us), i was wondering how to schedule my meds once i reach there and also once i get back.

Any advise will be of great assistance.

Thanks, Sol

Response from Dr. Lee

You have not indicated how long you'll be in Hong Kong which may make a difference in how quickly you make any changes. Would it be possible to take the Combivir at midnight and noon in Hong Kong (which is 6 and 6 in your homeland) and take the Sustiva at 3PM in Hong Kong and then you don't actually have to disrupt anything. Just resume your regular schedule at home.

If these times don't work and you must "walk" your way to a different schedule, remember that it is better to take a med a bit early rather than a bit late. Move back an hour or so per day (starting at the above recommended times) and you should be ok.

Be well.

I'm Scared
abacavir excreted in stools