I want to make an informed decision

Hi, Dr. Young. Thanks for helping out all of us newbies. I was wondering if there are credible rankings of infectious disease departments in hospitals throughout the country. I am specifically interested in NY, but I can't find any information about which doctors have the best education, best reputation, contribute most to journals, etc. How can I find this out? How much of a difference can a better doctor make? Thanks.

Thanks for your comments and questions.

Generally speaking, there are a number of ways to get the inside scoop on who's who in your area- the first is to contact a local AIDS service organization (ASO), a great way to do this is to use TheBody's ASOfinder.com. The ASO can get you information about who they recommend, who's taking new patients, insurance matters, etc.

Secondly, take a peak at the American Academy of HIV Medicine's membership (aahivm.org), these doctors have made a significant investment in HIV medicine.

Thirdly, once you've found a few names, you can search PubMed online for recent publications (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed).

Having an experienced doctor can be a matter of life and death- or maybe it's really an issue where having an inexperienced doctor can result in bad outcomes. There are a number of studies from across the world that indicate that experience matters and persons with HIV live longer and better in the care of doctors who know what they're doing.

There are many highly reputable doctors in the New York area; I'm sure that you'll be able to find a qualified doctor who's a good fit for your situation.

Thanks for reading. BY

Treatment trends
not sure what to do?