Confused. Recently seroconverted.

I am a 46 year old female. HIV RN who was exposed to HIV needle stick and skin. I seroconvert after skin exposure ( I was not offered meds after skin exposure).I am afraid to go on meds because of my Hx of severe SE from both antiviral and antiboditic.Iwould have to quit my job to qualify for ADAP. My CD4 230. VL 70,000.

Primary infection july of 2001. The ID doctor I worked for has lied to clients about SE and doesn't truely believe S/E are as bad as clts. make them out to be.The closest ID/HIV MD is 2 hours away. What would your advise be????

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I am sorry to hear about your infection and the difficult circumstances that you find yourself in. I would think that workplace insurance for occupational injury will cover the cost of antiretroviral medication and medical care and that ADAP will not be necessary.

It sounds like you should not see the ID doctor that you used to work for based on your description. With a CD4 count of 230 and viral load of 70,000 active treatment will need to be explored soon (notwithstanding your intolerance to previous medications). In view of these issues I suggest you seek medical care (despite the distance and time) with the nearest expert ID/HIV specialist. HIV medications are better now than 2001 when you were infected so you may do quite well with therapy. Good luck!

my boyfriend acts like he doesn't have HIV
How long to live?