Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can you pinpoint the years by CD4
May 4, 2004

My roomate was dx with the HIV on 2002. At that time her CD4 was around 240-260 (I know the doctor said a few more months or so she would have been considered to have had AIDS, decline in count). I am not certain what the viral load was, but that was low too. Supposely she contracted this 1 year prior. Is it possible for the virus to have spread so rapidly within 1 year?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

It's very difficult to accurately pinpoint the time of HIV infection from lab tests; about all that I can say is that it's very likely that your roommate probably does not have acute (very recent) HIV infection. Having a low CD4 count suggests that the infection has been there for some time, probably greater than a year, but again this is highly variable. BY

Previous
Re: STI article and acute infection
Next
don't need aids drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.