Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

opv theory?
Apr 26, 2004

Hey Dave,

The OPV/HIV theory was never truly disproven (oral polio virus vaccine cause of HIV in humans.

The only evidence provided that this theory is bad is that three samples of the old vaccine were tested for the presence of HIV viral DNA and RNA, and none was found. But obviously if HIV hitched a ride on this vaccine, it wouldn't be present in all of the samples, or even most or even many of the samples. We're talking maybe some of the samples.

Plus, if we are to accept that SIV jumped to humans via polio vaccine (using monkey kidney cells) or through some sort of natural exposure, we accept the strong possibility that since there was no screening method for SIV in these vaccines, that even if it jumped naturally, it also must have been present in SOME of these samples. Monkey DNA was found in some of them, just not the type of monkey that was consistent with the exact OPV/HIV theory. But maybe both sides are somewhat right and somewhat wrong. Either way, natural exposure could not be avoided, but HIV resulting from a vaccine could have. And to dismiss this is reprehensible, because if certain practices in medicine are potentially harmful to us, we need to know the whole story.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi

I am no expert in the orgins of HIV. Rather, I spend my time trying to get the genie back in the bottle. Much of what I have read about this is in the press. As you know a recent report in the journal Nature discredits the oral polio vaccine connection. Details can be found at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/23/science/23HIV.html and http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/vaccine/091001e.html

DW

Previous
please have mercy, do i need pcr?
Next
Acute Hepatitis B Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.