10 things to know about hiv

dr wohl i recently read an article i believe you wrote recently called ,"10 things you should know about hiv" i believe you stated that you should never combine viread with abacavir. I am worried because i am on a regimen of trizivir and viread.my doctor recently added the viread due to the recent study about the use of trizivir solely.i was doing great by the way with the trizivir alone but decided to add the viread to be safe and to save sustiva as a possibility in the future if necessary. my main concern now is your statement about abacavir and viread. can you please explain.thanks so much

Hi

I am not sure which article this is but let me set the record straight by saying there is NO problem with combining tenofovir and abacavir. Your doc has tried to augment the Trizivir (AZT+3TC+abacavir) by adding tenofovir. We don't know if this will work but there is no drug-drug interaction that I know of between any of these agents. Certainly, tenofovir and abacavir can share resistance mutations but that is not uncommon among nucleosides.

hcv viral load
please have mercy, do i need pcr?