neuropathy

Hello, I have been on meds(combivir and Kaletra) for 6 months now. My vl is undect. and my tcell is 450. My viral was up to 170,000 and tcell at 301 earlier this year. My question is..I am having some very werid pain like feeling in my knees. The pain is so intense at times..it feels like someone is putting a live electric wire to my knee for a few seconds..then its gone...then back..then gone..but the pain does not linger. Could this be neuroapthy? Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Lee

Although the sensation that you are experiencing is abnormal and should be evaluated, it does not sound like what we typically refer to as neuropathy. Neuropathy usually begins at the toes or fingers and is associated primarily with numbness and tingling, later achey sensations and tenderness to touch are reported, although at times sharp pains may also be noted. In any event, remember that not everything you experience is directly caused or associated with HIV or the treatments of HIV. So, look further for a cause.

PS Good job with your meds to achieve such a response.

Be well.

Making Sense of High Viral Load Results
Pregnancy and switching meds