labs at 6 months

Hi Dr.

I started meds in Sept--kaletra, viread and emtriva. My vl was last about 300K and tcells had dipped below 250. In Feb my tcells wee 537. My vl, however, was 53 on Feb. 16. At the prior test in Dec. is was 172. It is going steadily down. It never was lower than it was of the last test on Feb 16). So, as of Feb 16, 6 months aftr starting meds, I have not gone undectable. I am worried. What is going on? Is it ok?

Thanks for your question.

I wouldn't be too concerned-- with such a very high baseline viral load, the last residual remant viral load can take a very long time to go undetectable.

It would also be important to ask if at the last test if you had a cold, cold sore, sinusitis, etc-- these can all cause minor and generally insignificant blips in viral load.

Be patient, my guess is that everything is going well and as expected. Stay in touch, good health. BY

other uses for HIV drugs?
CD4 200, what can she start on