Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If treatment is MY decision,why am I told NO?
Apr 11, 2004

Hello, I'm a 31 yr old HIV+ female, Diagnosed 11/27/02. I know and understand that the debate on when to start treatment is varied in the medical community. Some say "Fast & Furious", some say, "Wait & See" I was told that the option to start treatment was ultimately MY decision, so why did my doctor tell me NO when I asked to be started on a Regimen? My CD4's are 803, and my Viral Load is 1580, I know my numbers are in VERY good shape, but why do I have to wait for them to deminish and lose what I have before someone decides to take notice, and allow me to start treatment? It just doesn't seem right to me.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

You raise a central issue for the treatment of HIV-- namely when to start.

Most experts agree upon waiting to start therapy until patients are either symptomatic or are asymptomatic with CD4 counts that are below ~350 cells. The philosphy of waiting isn't based on the principle of loosing immune function, but rather a balance between the potential for benefit and the potential for toxicity. This later issue of toxicity has gained much attention, as earlier treatments were very side effect prone and when not prescribed or taken well, left patients with the very real (and irreversible) toxicity of drug resistance. This coupled to concerns about long-term toxicity and observation that functional immune reconstitution can occur in persons with very low CD4 counts has led to the wait and watch approach that your doctor has suggested.

You currently have a very high CD4 count and a very low viral load-- suggesting that you might be able to defer on initiating therapies for many years-- the very years in which we will undoubtedly see significant improvments in our treatment options.

In the end, I'd suggest having a lengthy discussion about your specific situation with your doctor or local AIDS counsellor.

Good luck and thanks for reading. BY

Previous
swollen neck gland
Next
Waiting with treatment considering alternatives

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.