Preferred Regimens/DHHS Guidelines

I read the review of the BMS 045 study that was published in The Body's review of the Retrovirus Conference.Given the findings, will boosted reyataz (reyataz and ritonovir)plus the combination of two nucleasides be added as a "preferred regimen" in the DHHS Treatment Guidelines?

Thanks for your question.

Boosted atazanavir is a popular treatment regimen for first line therapy-- however, I think that it may be a little while before it becomes part of the treatment guidelines. The reason for this is that the BMS 045 study was the only study to evaluate ritonavir-boosted atazanavir and it was a study conducted in therapy-experienced patients. That said, it is likely to be included at some point in the future.

The distinction between studies in treatment-naive and treatment-experienced patients deserves some comment. Primarily,the side effect profile and reasons for treatment discontinuation differ from one group to the other. This means that the results of BMS 045 might not be entirely translated into the treatment naive population. These questions, in my view, deserve full evaluation in clinical studies (as opposed to speculation), prior to the full endorsement of the guidelines or this writer. BY

Kaposi's Sarcoma with a 426 CD4 count?
What is PEP?