Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need help if u can im confused
Apr 5, 2004

i have been diag. with PML and am hiv poz i also hs=ave the anti bodies preasent for CMV does that where the PML came from i have read a few answers on PML on here and thats what im getting from my search but im not shure mabee its me or the PML im not shure and i refuse to accept the 1 year diag. im still alive goning on 8 mths and i feel fine should i ask my dr about the codofir and or the interferon oh yea BTW my dr is dr whol hes a great dr im very pleased with him

Response from Dr. Pierone

PML, or progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, is a very serious brain infection caused by the JC virus. It generally occurs in people with AIDS that have low CD4 counts (under 50 cells). It often presents with weakness in one part of the body that increases in severity gradually over the course of weeks. Before the availability of effective antiretroviral therapy for HIV, most people with PML died within a year of diagnosis.

Now when someone is diagnosed with PML (usually by lumbar puncture or brain biopsy) they should be immediately started on antiretroviral treatment. This leads to stabilization of the neurological deficits in most and improvement in some. For people that do not improve with treatment directed at HIV (to improve immune function), then cidofovir (Vistide) should be considered. There are uncontrolled reports of clinical improvement in patients with PML treated with Vistide and I personally have used it and think that it helps some patients.

If your doctor is "the Dr Wohl" from our starting treatment forum, then you are in the hands of a very experienced and thoughtful doctor. He will make sure you are up to speed on the latest advances regarding PML. Best of luck!

Previous
Anonymous Dr. visit?
Next
candid answer, would be most grateful! :-)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.