Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Time for Meds

Dear Doctors- I was just diagnosed about a 1year and a half after infection.... I dont have any symptoms at the moment but am waiting for labs and the rest- (In NY) What I was wondering was what is your usual experience about when is the average time for people to start meds- My doctor says its highly variable but with good health he said that with monitoring and CD4 count driven policy we could be looking at years into the future to start.... is this normal or would you think I need meds early (silly question without labs) but bear with a guy trying to take charge of his health- (26) My docs good news that we can look at decades for life is reassuring and gives me strength- I have decided to take charge and fight and hopefully in my sixties retire down to Florida and enjoy some sun and time to write...... (IS THIS A DREAM?)

Your loyal reader.

Dear Loyal--

Thanks for your comments and questions. I agree entirely with your doctor. There is a ever growing consensus that waiting until CD4 counts decline is reasonable, particularly in light of recent data that raises questions about long-term toxicity.

When exactly is a hottly debated issue-- is 350 best or 200? Some argue one and others suggest waiting. I think that this is where your philosphy and doctor's opinion may shift the balance.

Either way, decades of survival should be in the cards; I'd suggest (especially since your still relatively early in the game) that getting a drug resistance test would be useful-- information that might influence your future (and deferred) treatment options.

So, live your dreams--

Thanks for reading. BY

Alovudine (MIV-310)
recent data suggesting long term toxicity?