Must Sustiva be taken 600 mg at one time

I just began taking Sustiva (plus d4t and ddI) 600 mg at bedtime. However, when I awake the next morning I experience dizzyness and for several hours thereafter I feel "disconnected" and unable to do much of anything. This was not unexpected. On my third day of treatment I experimented and changed the dosing to one 200 mg capsule three times a day and there was a marked improvement in the severity of the side effects. They almost dissapeared. Is taking one capsule three times a day the equivalent of taking three capsules at one time? Can I safely continue that dosing schedule for a few weeks THEN switich to the once a day dosing?

Response from Dr. Pavia

There is probably no scientific reason that you can't take Sustiva 3 times a day. The half life of the drug is very long so I wonder if it is really helping, or if you are just getting used to the drug. For most (but not all) people, the side effects get rapidly better after the first few days.The biggest problem with 3 times a day is forgetting.

Many patients find that if they take the Sustiva a few hours before bed it helps a lot with the morning drowsiness. Now that you have been on it a while, you could try taking 600 mg at about 8 or 9 PM and see how that goes.

ATP

Follow Up to Ready to Procreate
CONCERNED ABOUT ASSIMILATION