Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Good CD4 , increasing VL?

Hello Sir, I bother you with a simply question: I have been diagnosed 1 year and a half ago, i'm not on meds, i have 790 Cd4 count and 34.000 VL. Should I worry about? Is it a high viral load, which is the rithm of increasing in number of VL? Thanks Alex, Romania

Alex, Thanks for your note. It's great to know that we have readers in Eastern Europe.

Your viral load is a pretty average one-- we generally think of "high" viral loads being in the 100,000 copy/mL range. Viral loads typically increase when CD4 counts are beginning to decline into the AIDS range, for discussion sake, around 300 or so.

When making the decision to start medications, I tend to weigh the CD4 count most- so with your CD4 count of approximately 800 and current recommendations to wait until CD4s are around ~350, you will probably have some time (probably years) until you'll need to start meds. Nevertheless, it will be important to get regular monitoring of your health, viral load and CD4 count (in the US, we typically do this every 3-6 months).

Thanks for reading and good health to you. BY

Missing meds
First Line Treatment