Adherence Issues

I started taking meds 110 days ago. I am on viramune, viread, epivir twice a day. I have missed 4 evening doses and 2 morning doses in the past 100 days. Sometimes I take my morning dose a few hours late but never outside of the 3 hour window i've been told about. If I really clamp down now should I be OK or should I throw in the towell and switch to a once a day treatment. I would like to try to find some new ways to remind myself to take my meds before I change. On the other hand I'm wondering if its worth the risk. How long does it take to build resistance? At what point, if I still haven't manage to achieve the 95 mark, should I ask to be changed to a once a day which I assume would be a change from viramune to Sustiva. I wanted to avoid Sustiva because of the cns side effects but I take my chances with nightmares if it means not building resistance.

Viramune is not approved for once daily use, but works quite well and that is how I routinely prescribe it when the rest of the regimen is taken once daily. In your situation once daily use makes great sense. If your adherence improves to 100 percent (or as close as you can get), then resistance should not develop. We have had patients on once daily Viramune-based therapy for years with no hint of resistance. If you switch to once daily morning dosing and happen to forget a dose, then take it in the afternoon or the evening. That's what I do when I forget my morning vitamins and Zocor/Zetia.

Starting Treatment Issues
Missing meds