Pharmacy Error

I just started a treatment regimin for HIV: Sustiva, Viread and Epivir. My pharmacy mistakenly gave me 200mg capsules of Sustiva rather than the 600mg proscribed by my doctor. For the first month of my treatment, I took the 200mg Sustiva once daily. Since then, I have been taking the proper dosage. What effect will the wrong dosage have on my viral load and T-cell counts? My blood was taken before I began the proper dosage. Is there any negative effect to taking the wrong dosage for one month at the beginning of the treatment cycle?

The error can certainly be a problem. The lower dose of Sustiva that you took may not have been able to suppress your virus sufficiently - even with the other two medications on board - and allowed Sustiva related resistance mutations to emerge. Further, the so-called barrier to resistance is lower for Sustiva and like drugs than other classes of HIV meds such as protease inhibitors which generally require a bunch of mutations to effect antiviral activity of teh drug. For Sustiva (and Virammue), a single resistance mutation can neutralize the effect of this drug on the virus.

IF your pre-treatment viral load was low, you may not have developed Sustiva resistance as the combined drugs may have been powerful enough to shut down viral replication.

I would have your clinician draw a repeat viral load along with a genotype resistance test, if possible, right away. If you have Sustiva resistance you should be able to tell. If your viral load is undetectable or really low and a resistance test can not be performed because there is too little virus around - well, that is good news.

high VL, CD4 ok
Starting Treatment Issues