Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fuzeon injection questions
Mar 27, 2004

Hello Dr.Cohen, I am directing this question to you because I know you have been very involved with fuzeon. I have two questions-

One: Sometimes when I inject the medicine - some blood will come from the injection site. If by accident I hit a vein and the drug goes into the vein is that dangerous and will the drug be utilized - I would hate to become resistant if my body doesn't absorb the med.

Quest.two- With my other meds.esp. the protease inhib-I am take them every 12 hours-I also take fuzeon every 12-If I am scheduled to take the fuzeon at 8am/8pm and I inject at 8:45-will this cause resistance or is there some leadway?For the first time in 14 years I am undetectable and I don't want to mess it up.

By the way I am on 7 meds-I think I was given the virus from hell!!!!(LOL)

Response from Dr. Cohen

Quest one. I would certainly agree that it is worth trying to avoid hitting a vein or a blood vessel for a couple of reasons. One is just that it is messy. However - if you are injecting this drug into your body - under the skin - even if you did hit a blood vessel and see some bleeding - it is reasonable to expect that you are still getting the benefit of this drug. The first studies of Fuzeon were actually done with intravenous (IV - or into the vein) infusions. And with that approach the drug performed very well. However - it was abandoned more because it was just not going to work for people to get an infusion every day. So we went to the skin injections twice a day. And this approach may work in part because putting it under the skin might create a "slow-release" deposit - that allows continuous exposure to the drug for the next 12 hours. But it is likely that even if there is some bleeding - you did not inject it directly into a vein - it is more likely you hit a small blood vessel and see some bleeding. And having blood at the site should not influence the absorption of the Fuzeon into the body. Though again - it is worth avoiding as I am sure you are trying to do...

Quest two. There is likely to be no reasonable expectation of a problem in having the timing to be a small bit off. These meds are designed to work when given every 12 hours on average. But fortunately these are averages with often some "cushion". Meaning that at 7:59 your levels of Fuzeon are getting low and it is time to get another dose. But in general - these meds are not so demanding that they work at 8:00 but are useless by 8:45. And this may especially be the case now that your viral load is undetectable - there is simply less virus around - and therefore much more of a "cushion" in terms of when you'd need that next injection. And at least during that hour when you are getting ready with the next dose of Fuzeon - some of the other six (!)antivirals you are on are working - maintaining control before you get the next dose going. So while we talk every 12 hours - people do vary - and it is likely that 45 minutes is not going to be the difference at this point between continued suppression and viral rebound.

And Congrats on the undetectable level - the use of Fuzeon has allowed us on average to double the chance of achieving undetectable viral loads on average. And while it is a bit cumbersome perhaps to keep on with it -- it is great to hear of your dedication to do what you have to do to stay healthy and alive.

Good luck.

Previous
Please comment On My New Combo
Next
A good combination?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.