When Efavirenz

I've recently started of Efavirenz, AZT and 3TC.

I rashed out pretty badly (whole body from soles of feet to face) with the suspect being the Efavirenz so I have stopped that for the time being.

My Dr. wants to move to Kaletra however I am **very** lery about starting on a PI.

So my questions are:

1) Because I rashed out on one NNRTI does it mean that ll NNRTI's are out of the question?

2) Because I started and then stopped one NNRTI does it mean that my HIV will be resist to all (what's the liklyhood)

3) I am worried about Kaletra with side effect (most of my HIV+ friend have told me to advoid these if I can because of the effects). How founded are these concerns?

4) What other alternative (specifically) could be recommended what would not include Kaletra (PI)?

5) Are am I simply off in left-center field (it's ok to say yes on this one, honest) :-)

My CD4 is just shy of 300 with a load ok 80K.

Thanks in advance, ap

One can re-challenge with another NNRTI (Viramune) but the risk of rash will be fairly high. The likelihood is very low that you will develop resistance to NNRTI after an abbreviated course. The side effects of Kaletra need to be reckoned with; an alternative PI that is better tolerated is Reyataz (atazanavir). We don't have the long-term data with Reyataz yet, but boosted with low dose Norvir (100mg daily) it appears to be very potent. You are not off base, good luck!

HIVEE/CEM15 future?
A word of thanks