hiv drugs manufactured in other countries then exported to United States?

Dr. Young,

Hi. I hope you don't think that this is a dumb question. I know that we have quite a few hiv drugs already approved here in the United States and more in the pipeline. My question is are there drugs we don't know about being researched say in countries as Brazil, Russia, and Japan to treat hiv infection that may prove to be even better than the current drugs we have here today? And if any of these get approved and are seen to be effective for treatment in these foreign nations, is it likely that they may chooose to export them for profit to the United States? What do you think?

Thank you. You are extremely helpful always and we are grateful.

Nancy

Nancy- thank you for your question.

To a large extent the drug discover pipeline in the US and ex-US (foreign) counties are the same- indeed, many of the key clinical trials are multinational ones, with study sites across the globe.

The major differences between US and non-US pharmaceuticals has to do with the manufacturing of generic copies of the available drugs in the US, and at least with regard to India, some combination pills are available that aren't available in the US. Further, many foreign companies have developed relations with large North American-based firms-- like the Shionogi-GSK partnership, that saw early (and failed) studies of a HIV integrase inhibitor last year.

So to answer your question, as I understand the situation, I wouldn't be hoping for any unexpected discoveries from Brazil or Japan, since most of their research programs have strong and often intimate links to what's going on here in the US.

Thanks for your comments- BY

excellent!!
New to treatment