Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

just diagnosed
Mar 14, 2004

Hi- I just wanted to say what a great thing you guys are doing and the compassion and knowledge you all bring to this forum it truly is a relief- if thats the word- Anyway I was wondering would it be normal to see OI's 4 months after infection? Also in the mouth where is the most likely place for KS to appear- I read it had a predicliction for the hard palate, soft palate and on the gingivia..... also I had some purple dots the inside of my checks for your time but scratched them and they disappeared and now just come up on one side of my mouth..... I know wait to talk with the docs.... thanks for your knowledge and compassion- it is a support in times of despair.

sad.

Response from Dr. Wohl

It is unusual to experience opportunistic infections early in the course of HIV infection. Just as there are long-term non-progressors, there are short-term rapid-progressors who experience a high viral load and a quick drop in CD4 cells. Also, some people do get a transient drop in their CD4 cell counts during acute HIV infection that an OI develops. If you have a really high viral load 4 months after infection, it could be your CD4 cell counts are now low.

I can not tell you if what you are seeing in your mouth is KS. From what you describe, I think not. I agree with your plan to check in with your doctor. Your CD4 counts should be measured every 3-4 months along with a viral load.

DW

Previous
Staggered beginning
Next
does this mean, sti's dont or will never work?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.